You can apply for a Study Permit which is a visa to study in Canada on the basis that you meet all the required criteria. You can apply for a visa 3 months before the start date of your course. You will get decision on your student visa application within 12 weeks.
Money you need
You must have enough money to pay for your course and support yourself in Canada. How much money you need depends on your circumstances and what you’re applying for.
You need enough money to pay for your course. The amount you need to pay will be on your Offer Letter.
Money to support yourself (‘financial requirement’)
Cost for student only – You will be required to provide proof of funds in the following manner –
- Proof of funds for your tuition fees
- Proof of funds showing the 12-month living costs for students which is CAD $10,000
Evidence you can provide for your funds
You must prove that you can support yourself, and the family members who come with you, while you are in Canada.
You can provide following evidence for your proof of funds:
- proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you’ve transferred money to Canada
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
- proof of a student or education loan from a bank
- your bank statements for the past 4 months
- a bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars
- proof you paid tuition and housing fees
- a letter from the person or school giving you money, or
- proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program
Cost for partner and child – In addition to the proof of funds for students, you will have to show the below funds for your partner and child.
- CAD $4,000 amounts of funds required per year for First family member
- CAD $3,000 amounts of funds required per year for every additional accompanying family member
Steps to apply for Canada Student Visa
You can only apply for your student visa after you have received an offer of certificate from the university. You should also arrange for your proof of funds as this step in very important in visa process.
The earliest you can apply for a visa is 3 months before your intended date of travel to Canada. Please note that your application date is the date when your application fee is paid. You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 8 to 10 weeks. You have to apply for your student visa application online using the CIC official website.
The study permit expires in 90 days after your studies are finished (after you receive a notification of the programme completion). You can still stay and travel in Canada and explore or you can apply for a work permit, which allows you to take a full time or part-time job.
Student Direct Stream
Indian students applying to universities and colleges in Canada can now expect faster visa processing through the Study Direct Stream program launched by the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada. Student Direct Stream allows students from India to avail their visa within 4-6 weeks.
Here is the list of documents required to apply for student visa:
- Valid Passport
- Provide an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution (a university recognized by the Canadian government)
- Filled-in student permit application form
- Proof of fee payment
- Statement of Purpose
- Academic documents (in English)
- Evidence that accounts for any gaps in your educational history (if any)
- Current or previous employment documents
- English language test score
- Proof of sufficient financial resources to support your studies and living expenses in Canada
- Present proof confirming you have no criminal record
- Submit medical reports to confirm that you are fit and healthy
- Proof of Medical Insurance
- Two recent passport-size photographs, with specifications of name and date of birth on the back
- Original Birth Certificate
- Book appointment for your biometrics and provide any additional information required
- Proof that you paid the study permit fee (150 CAD)
- After the online process is completed, you will be called to attend your student visa interview to the respective embassy office you choose
Work Part-Time while you study
Canada allows its international students with an opportunity to work for up to 20 hours every week during their semesters and full-time during the summer and winter breaks. You must be a full-time student both before and after the break to work full-time. Students can work on-campus or as an intern in any company. They would not require any additional work permit as your study permit is enough to help you find a part time job.
Post Study Work Visa
The government of Canada gives 180 days to apply for a work permit in Canada after the completion of your course.
Eligibility criteria for Post graduate work permit (PGWP)
In order to be eligible for a PGWP, you must fulfil the following requirements:
- You must have completed a program of study that lasted for at least 8 months and led to a degree, diploma or certificate.
- You must have studied full time each academic session without any break in between.
Duration of Post graduate work permit (PGWP) Canada
If the official length of your program of study is:
- Less than eight months: you are not eligible for the PGWP program
- Less than two years but more than eight months: you will get a work permit for a period equal to your course duration
- Two years or more: you will be granted a work permit three years
Once you have completed 3 years of stay and work under the work permit, you may also be eligible for Canadian Permanent Residence status. A permanent work offer from a Canadian employer will categorize you under the Federal Skilled Worker Program and clear your path of getting a PR in Canada. Having a PR allows you to apply for all kinds of job opportunities in Canada.