Student Visa

You can apply for a D-type study visa to study in Ireland on the basis that you meet all the required criteria. The earliest you can apply for a visa is 3 months before the start date of your course. You will get decision on your student visa application within 8 weeks.

The duration of your stay normally depends on the length of your program. If you are 18 years or older and if your course it at degree level you may be allowed to stay in UK for up to 7 years.

Medical Insurance Requirements

Under immigration law, all non-EU students must have their own private medical insurance to get into Ireland. The insurance should cover you for stay in hospital, as well as for any accident and illness.

You need to have proof of your private medical insurance when registering with the immigration authorities.

  • If you are part of a group insurance scheme operated by your college, a letter of enrolment mentioning this will be adequate proof for the authorities.
  • If you are not part of such a scheme, you must secure your own medical insurance from Ireland.
  • For newly-arrived first year students, Irish travel insurance will be proof enough if it covers you for one full year or where you are staying for the duration.
  • Proof will be required of insurance coverage of a minimum of 25,000 pounds for accident and 25,0000 pounds for disease and as stated for any stays in hospital.
  • After the first year, travel insurance is no longer valid and you must source private medical insurance in Ireland for any subsequent years.
  • For registration in second or later years, all non-EU students can show they are in receipt of private medical insurance from Ireland by way of a letter of renewal.

It’s extremely important to note that the cancellation of medical insurance following registration is a breach of immigration conditions. Also, Immigration Authorities do not have to register you if you fail to obtain proof of insurance in English.

Please note that heavy levies are charged for all hospitalization and it is advised to make provision for adequate medical insurance. Non-EU students are required to show proof of comprehensive medical insurance when registering with the Garda National Immigration Bureau. Proof of health insurance is also required when applying for a student visa.

Money you need

You must have enough money to pay for your course and support yourself in the Ireland. How much money you need depends on your circumstances and what you’re applying for.

Course fee

You must provide a copy of an Electronic Transfer of Funds (ETF) to the Irish Bank of the college, showing details of the beneficiary’s name, address, bank details and the same details for sender,


a valid receipt showing that the course fees have been lodged to an approved student fees payment service e.g., the electronic fee payment service offered by Pay to Study (formerly International Student Payments Service, (ISPS))

Money to support yourself (‘financial requirement’)

Cost for student only – Evidence of funds to cover living expenses and your course fee. Evidence required is as below –

You must show evidence that you have immediate access to at least €7,000. This is the estimated cost of living in Ireland for a student for one academic year.

Evidence of fee payment – A valid receipt showing that the course fees have been lodged to an approved student fee payment service.

Partner and child – As a general rule non-EEA student coming to Ireland have no right to bring their family with them. Spouses, partners and children of non-EEA nationals can apply to enter and live in Ireland in their own right, but they cannot apply on the basis of their relationship to a non-EEA student. There are some exceptions to this rule, for example, for Ph.D. students or for students who can prove they have sufficient funds to support their family.

Documentary evidence required

Your finances

You must provide the following in relation to your finances. • You must provide an up-to-date bank statement, showing what money has been paid into and out of the account over the last six months. You must submit this whether you are covering the costs of your studies yourself or not.

Details of your sponsor (where applicable) and their finances

If a family member/friend is responsible or co-responsible for covering your costs, you must list each person sponsoring you, and give clear details of their relationship to you. You must provide evidence (e.g., birth certificates/marriage certificates etc.) of how you are linked or known to this person.

Registering with Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB)

All non-Irish nationals, who are not citizens of the EU/EEA or Switzerland, must register in person with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) after arrival and after completion of registration at your third level institution. The GNIB will issue you with a residence permit/GNIB card. The fee for this card is €300 and must be paid by credit card, laser card or bank giro.

What you need to bring with you:

  • Valid passport;
  • Current student card;
  • Evidence of financial support, e.g., current bank statement showing your name, a letter of guarantee from parent or guardian indicating availability of sufficient funds to sustain you for the duration of your stay in Ireland; or a letter from your sponsoring body confirming financial status.
  • A letter from the college including your student status, start date and the duration of your course and stating that fees have been paid.
  • Evidence of private health insurance.
  • €300 – this must be paid by credit card, laser card or bank giro.

Steps to apply for Ireland Student Visa

You can only apply for your student visa after you have received an offer of certificate from the university. Any scholarships which you must have received from University should be mentioned on your offer of certificate. You should arrange your proof of funds as this step in very important in visa process.

The earliest you can apply for a visa is 3 months before you start your course. You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 8 weeks. Get medical insurance coverage of a minimum of €25,000 for accident and €25,000 for disease, and as stated, for any stays in hospital.

Here is the list of documents required to apply for student visa:

  • Valid Passport
  • Letter of acceptance from a recognised Irish institution
  • Proof of fee payment
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Academic documents (in English)
  • Evidence that accounts for any gaps in your educational history (if any) 
  • Current or previous employment documents
  • English language test score
  • Proof of funds
  • Proof of Medical Insurance
  • Passport size photos
  • Original Birth Certificate
  • Provide your biometrics and provide any additional information required

Work Part-Time while you study

As a D-type study visa holder in Ireland, you have the rights to work part-time while studying, which will help you support your expenses. For getting the stamp 2 visa which allows you to work part-time in Ireland you will have to register yourself with immigration.

If you are allowed into the country at border control, an immigration officer will stamp your passport and add a date to the stamp. You must register before this date. If you are non-EU/EEA and if you wish to stay in Ireland for any reason for longer than 90 days, you must apply for immigration permission and (if successful) then register.

Non-EEA students with Stamp 2 permission to remain are allowed to take up casual employment. They can work up to 20 hours a week during term time and up to 40 hours a week in the holidays. Holiday periods have been standardized – June to September inclusive and from 15 December to 15 January.

Post Study Work Visa

Third Level Graduate Scheme

International students are able to gain valuable work experience and begin their careers in Ireland with the country’s post-study work visas. Created by the Irish government, the Third Level Graduate Scheme allows graduates to remain in Ireland for up to 24 months after completing your degree.

Depending on the level of higher education you have completed, you may be able to work in Ireland for up to 40 hours a week, gaining valuable experience to help you in your career.